The Slik F740 Tripod is a complete tripod with panhead, designed to do double-duty for both compact point and shoot cameras as well as video cameras. Its maximum upper leg diameter is 25.4mm, and it is rated for use with equipment weighing up to 3.3 pounds (1.5kg). At a collapsed length of just 20.9″ including the head, the F740’s right at home attached to the outside of a backpack.
Slik focuses on the intelligence in their designs, and not just the raw support. The F740’s flip-lock levers are a cut above the usual grade, with decidedly great action for a tripod most would classify as inexpensive. The F740 also has a geared center column with adjustable tension, allowing you to make fine adjustments to camera position in macro shooting without having to recompose the entire image (as you likely would with a ‘rapid’ column).
Keep the light stuff on the F740, and you’ll be happy with its performance as a light class travel tripod.
- 3-Way panhead with quick release plate and anti-twist video register pin (unscrewing the panning knob controls both pan and tilt movement)
- Geared, adjustable-tension center column’s handy for macro work
- Large, ergonomic flip-lock levers with secure and assured action
- Angled rubber leg tips make great contact with hard surfaces and won’t be refused for aircraft carry-on
- Maximum upper leg diameter of 25.4mm