The Sony Alpha A3000 Digital Camera features the form-factor and familiar shape of an SLR within a highly compact and lightweight design. Its ergonomic grip, electronic viewfinder, and Multi Interface shoe offer a wealth of support for intuitive operation and stability while shooting. The A3000 utilizes a 20.1 megapixel APS-C-sized Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor and BIONZ image processor to produce high resolution still images and full HD 1080i/p video in multiple frame rates with marked low-light quality and sensitivity to ISO 16000. The image processor also contributes greatly to minimizing overall noise levels and allowing for full-resolution continuous shooting up to 3.5 fps.
The Tru-Finder QVGA 0.5″ electronic viewfinder is an intuitive means for eye-level monitoring and is assisted by the inclusion of a 3.0″ 230.4k-dot LCD monitor for image composition and menu navigation. The two technologies provide an efficiently way of working with the A3000 and facilitate working with an intuitive menu structure to access a host of camera features, including Picture Effects, Auto HDR mode, Auto Object Framing, and Sweep Panorama.
Included with the camera body is a Sony E-mount 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27-82.5mm. This range of perspectives is well-suited to everyday shooting and is further enhanced through the inclusion of Optical SteadyShot image stabilization for minimizing the appearance of camera shake. An internal focusing mechanism drives the lens in a smooth and near-silent manner and the inclusion of three aspherical elements helps to reduce chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range as well as contribute to high overall sharpness.
- 20.1MP Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor and BIONZ Image Processor
- The 20.1MP APS-C-sized Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor and BIONZ image processor work together to produce high resolution, well-detailed imagery with minimal noise and notable low-light quality and sensitivity from ISO 100-16000. The adaptive noise reduction technology is the same that is used in Sony’s flagship DSLR, which works to intelligently reduce noise at higher sensitivities. The processor also contributes to providing a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including quick autofocus in live view, top full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 3.5 fps, and full HD 1080i/p video recording in multiple frame rates.
- Lightweight Design and SLR Form-Factor
- A large, ergonomic grip is integrated into the compact overall form-factor of the body, giving an appearance that resembles a traditional SLR but with a smaller, lighter weight design reminiscent of mirrorless cameras. This added grip works to increase shooting and carrying stability and security. The design of the A3000 also incorporates both a 3.0″ 230.4k-dot rear LCD monitor and a Tru-Finder electronic eye-level viewfinder. The 0.5″ EVF features a QVGA resolution and 100% frame coverage in addition to serving as a third point of contact between yourself and the camera for greater shooting stability. Additionally, a Multi Interface accessory shoe is available for attaching an external flash, microphone, or other accessories. A Multi Terminal is available, too, for using an optional remote control.
- Full HD Video Recording
- Full HD 1080i/p video recording is supported at both 60 and 24 fps frame rates to produce high resolution movies with a smooth, cinematic look. Videos are recorded using the high-quality AVCHD codec and a built-in stereo microphone records sound in the Dolby Digital AC-3 format. Additionally, 1440 x 1080p and 640 x 480p at 30 fps formats are also supported in the Internet-friendly MP4 format.
- Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Lens
- The included 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27-82.5mm, covering wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives to suit shooting in a wide variety of situations. It features Optical SteadyShot image stabilization to help minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps to greatly benefit working in low-light conditions and with greater zoom magnifications. Three aspherical elements are integrated into the optical construction to help reduce chromatic aberrations as well as increase clarity and contrast and an internal focusing mechanism works to provide smooth, responsive AF that pairs well with HD video recording.
- Other Camera Features
- Auto Object Framing is an intelligent shooting mode that can automatically analyze the scene and subjects within it and determine an aesthetically-pleasing composition. The subsequent imagery will be cropped according to subject matter, resulting in a well-balanced composition that utilizes Face Detection and Tracking Focus to ensure high image quality and sharpness.
- Auto HDR mode will automatically record a bracketed range of exposures of the same scene in order to capture greater highlight and shadow detail than a single exposure can record. These multiple exposures will then be composited into a single file that exhibits an extended dynamic range.
- Face Detection/Registration technology can detect and register up to eight individual faces and adjust the focus, exposure, white balance, and flash settings in order to deliver optimal image settings for pictures of people. Children or adults can be prioritized within this mode.
- Picture Effect modes allow you to apply creative settings and emphasize certain facets of individual images for a richer, more aesthetic picture quality. Posterization (Color/B&W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Mono, Toy Camera, Soft High-Key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-Tone Mono, and Miniature modes are available.
- Clear Image Zoom can be used to magnify the center of scenes by 2x to effectively extend the reach of any focal length lens. This digital zoom technology uses an intelligent interpolation process to minimize the amount of image degradation in order to produce realistic, high-quality images.
- Creative Style settings provide control over how the camera processes images based on six different predetermined styles: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, and B&W. Within these settings, contrast, saturation, and sharpness can also be adjusted depending on personal preference.
- Sweep Panorama technology allows you to automatically capture wide, expansive panoramic images, up to 202°, by simply panning about the scene. Images can be made in either vertical or horizontal orientation and the camera will intelligently stitch together the consecutive images into one file up to 23MP in size.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) works to improve images featuring backlit subjects or scenes with high contrast where details can be lost in the shadows or highlights. This mode can be controlled automatically or fine-tuned using five settings.
- The Photo Creativity Touch Interface provides a wealth of controls for modifying the look of imagery in-camera. Changes can be made using the intuitive control dial and results are seen in real time on the LCD monitor. Background Defocus, Brightness, Color, Vividness, and most Picture Effects can be manipulated in this manner.
- The Sony E-mount affords compatibility with an extensive number of lenses and lens adapters.
- Convenient USB charging allows you to charge the included lithium-ion battery in-camera via USB connection from either an AC outlet or PC source.
- The Stamina battery power allows up to approximately 470 shots to be taken on a single charge. The InfoLITHIUM batteries also enable you to see the remaining percentage of battery power left.
- TRILUMINOS Color support is afforded by the A3000 to produce rich, natural colors when imagery is viewed on a TRILUMINOS Display.